Saturday, March 24, 2007

Turtle Day

Today, I went outside and cleaned the ponds of a winter’s worth of muck, leaves and more muck. Then we did the only thing left to do on such a beautiful day. We went turtle hunting.

We weren’t very successful at the first pond. All the turtles swam out to the middle of the pond. They were too big anyway. I was looking for a pair of small to medium sized turtles in hopes of trying to breed them.



At the second pond we caught four turtles, two small painted turtles and two very tiny sliders. Look how little this guy is!

The painted turtles look like they will make a cute couple, that is, if I sexed them right. One has long front nails and a long tail, definitely a male. I have to take a closer look at the other. I think she is a female. Short tail, but not so short, no long nails, but both these turtles a pretty young. hmmm.

2 comments:

Karen Lee said...

So cute! Did you keep them?

Paige Keiser said...

Oh I love turtles (and frogs too)! What a cute little fella!