Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Scribblism is Back

scribblism

We got a donation of some of the funkiest paper. It is sort of see through. The paper takes well to markers and colored pencil and paint so I was excited about trying it out. Plus it being see though gave me an idea. What if I took advantage of the layers?

scribblism

Like all good scribblists, I started with the markers and colored pencils. This is the best part because scribblism is so free. I just let my hand go where it wants.

scribblism

For the second layer I decided to apply paint. The paper isn't perfectly see through so the colors of the finished product will be slightly dulled which for me is a good thing.

scribblism

For the bottom layer I decided to cover the paper in white. This way I can hang the layers on the wall without a matt or frame, which to me would take away from the industrial look, and also without the color of the wall affecting the entire piece.

scribblism

This photo gives you an idea of the opaqueness of the paper.

scribblism

Here is a detail of the final work. I'm pretty happy with the results and plan to do more.

1 comment:

Ismael Cavazos said...

Hello, fellow scribbler! Thanks to Florence Cane for inventing the Scribble Technique and to artists like us who make it an amazing artform. I've used the technique ever since I was introduced to it by an art teacher in my youth. The art and practice of the scribble had no name, so I invented (and trademarked) the word Scribblism. visit http://www.scribblism.com and http://www.oldmaninthepeanut.com to learn more
sincerely, austin artist ismael cavazos