Sunday, September 05, 2010

Going Back to School with the Critter Cubes



Question # 1. You are building cubes that require 4, 18" squares and 2, 18 1/2" squares. If each piece of plywood can be cut into either 8, 18" squares or 4 18" squares and 4 18 1/2" squares, how many sheets of plywood do you need to create an even number of cubes with no left over squares?

Answer: three sheets of plywood.

Question # 2. Identify all the parts of the following sentence. I DON"T RUN WITH SHARP OBJECTS.

Answer: Pronoun Adverb Verb Preposition Adjective Noun

Question # 3. What does question number 2 have to do with Critter Cubes?

Answer: Each Critter Cube has part of a sentence painted on it. The goal is to make sure no matter which side of the cube is turned, the sentence still makes sense. By understanding the sentence structure, I was able to easily swap out words.


Note the painted word LIKE in the top left hand corner

Here, you try it. Swap out the preposition WITH from the above sentence with any other preposition. Here are a few prepositions to choose from: WITHOUT, ON, UNDER, THROUGH, FROM.

I DON"T RUN WITH SHARP OBJECTS.
I DON"T RUN WITHOUT SHARP OBJECTS.
I DON"T RUN ON SHARP OBJECTS.
I DON"T RUN UNDER SHARP OBJECTS.
I DON"T RUN THROUGH SHARP OBJECTS.
I DON"T RUN FROM SHARP OBJECTS.

Wasn't that fun?!

Read more about The Critter Cube Project.. click here then scroll down!


.

No comments: