Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Animated Walking Zonkey Cube



I've had this idea for a while.. using the 6 sides of a box, or in this case a critter cube, to create a stop motion walk cycle of a zonkey.

The idea is to paint each of the steps of a walk cycle on each side of the cube. Then place the cube in the street and take shots of each side of the box. The end result, an animated walking zonkey.

The only problem is, the typical walk cycle uses eight steps. A cube only has 6 sides. I thought the easiest thing to do would be to try to reduce the walk cycle down to only four steps.




This is the actual box photographed on the four sides and compiled in PhotoShop. The walk cycle sort of works...




In this version I used PhotoShop to paint each of the hoofs a different color so I could better understand which of the feet looked like they were walking and which were missing the mark...

2 comments:

C.R. Evers said...

That is so cool!

lhewett said...

May I ask how you were able to post an animation to your blog? I teach Arts and Technology in my high school and my students have created some really nice animated gifs. Unfortunately we are having difficulty in uploading them to their blogspot blogs. We can't use the html code from Photobucket because it is blocked in our county. Flickr does not support animations. HELP please.


Larry Hewett