Monday, September 10, 2007

Zoo



Yesterday, we went to the zoo and I took my sketchbook. How funny after painting mammoths all weekend that this guy walked right up to us.



Usually, they are way down on the other side of the world. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad these pachyderms have hundreds of acres to romp but it doesn’t always make for the best viewing. So this was way cool to have him only a few feet away.



Drawing animals, even what you might consider slow moving animals, is hard work. They really don’t hold still like you might think. I did a lot of gesture type sketches trying to capture the essence of elephant, (which is a new perfume I’m working on). I really like this sketch with the squiggly trunk. I’m going to have to do more with…. Coming soon to a blog near you.



After the zoo, my body decided to stop playing games with the ear infection I’ve been wrestling with all week. I had a raging fever with the most icky chills. If you’ve ever been under a heap of blankets but still felt like you were standing barefoot in the penguin house then you know what I’m talking about.

1 comment:

Karen Lee said...

These are lovely! Such fine gestures.

I hope you are recovered.