Saturday, March 25, 2006

Monster

I wish I had more time to devote to this week’s Illustration Friday word, monster ‘cause that’s a word that is right up my alley.

For Christmas I got the book Monster by Frank Peretti. I’m not a quick reader but I’ll tell you what, I devoured that book. My head was in it every night, curled on the couch, the fire blazing (of course, this was pre-anchovy days).



My first encounter with Bigfoot was through a newspaper story my mother clipped for me when I was in elementary school. It was the story of a girl who was lost in the woods. A wild fire spread through the forest and she surely would have perished if not for a hairy creature that placed her on a cliff. At least, that’s how I remember the story.

I read the article on a long car ride home, driving back from a week vacation in a cabin in Vermont. I still remember thinking that it was good that my mother had given the article to me on the way home and not on the way there.

6 comments:

Shu said...

oh wow - i really like how you've laid out this picture. It's a captured moment, not only of the art, but of a part of your environment.
Great sketch too!! ;-)

The Unknown said...

Bigfoot scares me.
Great illo.
love

Lou said...

Great story to go along with your great illustration. Nice job!

carla said...

This is great - we get to see the process with your things around the sketchbook. I loved the story:>

bee'nme said...

Great sketch! I'm a Frank Peretti fan, but haven't read "monster" - I'll have to check it out. I always enjoy your work.

Ginger*:) said...

Everything you do is so free and flowiing. Even just a sketch has great character. So did you draw his feet too?