Saturday, August 12, 2006

The Pond

This spring I installed a pond in my backyard.



Since then I have been constantly working on it. Now it is more than a pond, it is an entire natural area with flowers, insects, reptiles and lots of frogs.



I planted three butterfly bushes around the pond and I guess it worked cause here this guy showed up. Most of the other plants are wild flower seeds. I particularly like the black eyed susies. Then there is some ivory around the pond. Further back are a few tomato plants. I'm hoping to grow some tomatoes for the turtles.



I bought these water plants from Lowes. They grow like crazy in the pond i have in the front yard, but the turtles eat them back here. I need to keep transferring plants for the front pond to the back. If you look closely you will see honeybees all over the log. There must be a nest nearby because there is a constant stream of honeybees flying around. There is never less than 10 bees and any time.



This little guy, an eastern box turtle, was here before and then he was gone. Now he's back. I hope he stays. I have been enticing him with bananas and dog food and lettuce and mushrooms. If those stupid tomatoes would ever grow...

No comments: