Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Billboard Project

street art billboard

http://www.zonkeystreet.com
Encouraging artists everywhere to make public, collaborative and interactive art!


Late last Summer while driving to the beach I started noticing the billboards on the side of i-40. I said to myself, "Self, wouldn't it be cool to paint one of those billboards."
Just for fun, I called a billboard company and asked, "How much?"

$1,400.00 ... For only 1 month... OK, so there went that idea.

Then, last autumn, a grant offer from United Artists came in the mail. I left it on my desk at work. I probably would have thrown it out but Ms. Koefler said, "You could use that for your billboard."

So I applied and you know how much they gave me? Guess... ;)

So all excited like, I contacted the billboard company. But you know what? They weren't too responsive. I received a few emails back telling me how I could run a stinky little poster over on Capitol Blvd. They said they would send me a contract but they never even asked for my address. I guess I was too small a fish.

So I did what everyone should do.. I took another trip to the beach. This time I paid attention to the billboard company names... One stood out above all the others...

Admiral Outdoor Advertising!!!

I contacted Regina Simpson, at Admiral Outdoor Advertising, the best billboard company ever. She quoted me the same price as the stinky, never to be named company.. Only Regina Simpson, at Admiral Outdoor Advertising, the best billboard company ever, said she would run my billboard for... A year!

So if you are driving down i-40 to the beach this summer and you are going through Duplin County, near mile marker 373 ....

Meanwhile: Check out the website:

http://www.zonkeystreet.com encouraging artists everywhere to make public, collaborative and interactive art!

M@KE ART!

2 comments:

KatherineR said...

Love the ZonkeyStreet!

Are you going to get in on Artsplosure this year?

Artsplosure.org

Would be cool to see zonkey art in the kidsplosure section.

C.R. Evers said...

YaY for Zonkeys!

I plugged zonkey street on my blog today.