Friday, August 13, 2010

Critter Cubes

I'm working on an interactive public art project through the GJCAE for the town of Wake Forest, NC.

The Critter Cube Project will provide 6 to 9 interchangeable cubes similar to the boxes I created for the Interactive Room for each participating business. I might need as many as 60 or more cubes!

Critter Cubes

Only thing, these boxes need to stay outside so they need to be constructed out of something more durable than cardboard. I knew I wanted to make the boxes out of fiberglass but I never worked with the stuff before. So I took a ride over to my favorite art supply store.... the Home Depot.

Critter Cubes

I purchased resin, body filler, fiberglass cloth, and gloves! I read several places on the net where people have substituted fleece or used it in conjunction with the fiber glass. I decided to rip up an old t-shirt.

Critter Cubes

This stuff stinks! I need a mask! These fumes can't be good for me. i think I'm losing brain cells....

Critter Cubes

I mixed the resin and applied it with a paint brush. The shirt used a lot more resin than the fiberglass.. but the fiberglass cost more than the shirt... i'll need to see how they come out once they are dry and decide which way to go.

Critter Cubes

The fiberglass seems to be coming out how I envisioned. But the shirt is pretty because it's orange :) Once these dry I'll try to sand them down and paint them white. Stay tuned...

.

No comments: