Sunday, December 07, 2008

Pop Expressionism

Pop Expressionism

I was up late working on the Moose Project and thinking (maybe too much :) about what I was creating. How the images, the moose for example are very much Pop Art. You can clearly see the influences of Keith Haring as well as Red Grooms in my work.



However, my earliest influences were works by Abstract Expressionists. Pollock's splats, i'd like to say I let the paint thoughtfully drip but to be honest, I'm just sloppy :)

Pop Expressionism

Also, Franz Kline's black lines are evident in my work. In fact, I've been trying to make my black lines thicker and more Kline-ier.

Pop Expressionism

And as I sat and and tried to label what I'm creating I came up with Pop Expressionism. I can tell you at first, I thought I was pretty clever. But the Internet has a funny way of deflating pride. A quick Google search revealed several other instances of the the term Pop Expressionism.

Still, the term is loosely defined, and what I mean by that is there is no definition on Wikipedia :) Several other artist are referred to as being Pop Expressionist including Sam Messer, Richard Hambleton and Jim Dine. There is also a web site by Erica Wolfsen titled Pop Expressionism. And I found another artist's site who claims to be the founder of the movement, though I have my doubts (so I'm not giving him a link just yet).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm telling you, you have the most coolest art! You make it not seem so... perfected, and just fun, wild, and crazy!!

;D

Anonymous said...

evil reindeer.
grrrr.

J. E. Morris said...

I think your meeses are going to be awesome! I LOL when I read all the reasons why Santa should use moose instead of reindeer.